- Why is the griddle the most appropriate equipment to cook eggs?
- Which electric griddle is best for cooking eggs?
- Prerequisites to cook eggs on the griddle
- Making different egg recipes in Griddle
- Bottom line
Why is the griddle the most appropriate equipment to cook eggs?
Both the cast iron griddles and the electric griddles are exceptional choices for cooking all types of eggs. Griddles are ideal for cooking eggs as they have an even and constant cooking temperature across their surface. Thus, the griddles are easy to cook and get them cooking consistently. Griddles also render a flat surface that helps us in doing a dreaded egg flip pretty easily and effortlessly. It can also offer a double egg flip pretty instantly and simply.
As the griddle offers a non-stick surface it makes it great to cook eggs with a delicate texture. With other cooking surfaces, the eggs can easily stick on to or tear and break easily if the surface of the pan is also too rough. Also, it is possible to cover the griddle easily with seasonings and also to add spices while cooking the eggs on a flat cooking surface.
The griddles have a wide and flat surface, and it makes them ideal to cook large quantities of eggs at one time. Thus, it can be great for cooking breakfast for a big family, when we have to cook everyone’s food to be ready at the same time. Also, for cooking and flipping the eggs on the griddle, we can use metal utensils as well, as it doesn’t have a Teflon non-stick coating to be damaged by metal spatulas.
Which electric griddle is best for cooking eggs?
Zojirushi EA-DCC10 Gourmet Sizzler Electric Griddle is the best electric griddle for cooking eggs. It is one of the oldest griddles in the market and that’s why trusted by a number of chefs around the globe.
Must read: How to Season a Commercial Griddle?
Prerequisites to cook eggs on the griddle
1. Temperature: Eggs are delicate food items that can burn pretty easily. And when it comes to eggs, we know that there is a hairline difference between overcooked and undercooked eggs. Thus, it is important to prevent the eggs from getting hard. Eggs should be cooked on the griddle on low-medium heat. The ideal temperature for the griddle to cook the eggs should be 250 and 325 F. This reduces the risk of overcooking the eggs.
2. Required vessels: To cook the eggs, we require a large cast-iron griddle, stainless steel spatula, a stainless steel whisk, and a medium-sized bowl for mixing the ingredients to make scrambled eggs and omelets. A large-sized spatula helps in flipping the egg easily without breaking its yolk.
3. Pre-heating the griddle: For all the recipes, including the egg recipes, it is important to preheat the griddle and sprinkle it with oil to cover the surface of the griddle perfectly.
4. Choosing the best oil to cook the eggs: It is best to use avocado or coconut oil to offer a delicious and nutty flavor to the eggs. These oils are also rich in healthy fatty acids and offer a great flavor and taste for the eggs. You can also choose to use flaxseed oil, as it is flavorless and doesn’t interfere with the sweet flavors of the dish. If you want to add a rich and creamy flavor to the eggs, you can also choose to cook them in butter.
Making different egg recipes in Griddle
1. Preparing scrambled eggs
Preheat the griddle to medium heat and simultaneously crack two eggs in a bowl. Add 2 tsp of milk or water, salt, pepper, and other spices to taste. Whish the mixture completely until they blended completely.
Add oil to the griddle and pour the scrambled eggs on the griddle. When the eggs are set, drag the spatula along the bottom of the griddle in a long and smooth stroke, to help create egg curds. Cook the eggs until they look slightly wet and never cook the eggs until they get too dry. Remove the scrambled eggs from the griddle and serve hot.
2. Preparing egg omelets
To prepare egg omelets, preheat the griddle to medium heat. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add salt, pepper, water, milk, and other spices to taste. Whish the mixture until they are completely combined and combine it with herbs, veggies, the meat of your choice. Grated cheese can be added to the mixture. Pour the batter on the griddle, and when the egg is cooked, lift the sides of the egg and if you prefer, flip it. When the egg is almost cooked, add the cheese, meat, veggies and fold the omelet in half. Take the omelet off the heat and serve fresh.
3. Preparing sunny side up
This is the easiest and the simplest of egg recipes and it can be cooked easily in a griddle. Crack the egg on the cup and it is advised not to crack them directly on the griddle, as there are chances of the eggshell contaminating the white portion of the egg.
Keep the griddle on heat and preheat to medium-high flame and add oil to the electric griddle. Pour the cracked egg on the griddle and cook until the whites of the egg set in. Cook for about one minute, when the whites of the egg turn opaque.
Slide the side of the spatula under the right side of the egg, whichever side is convenient to you. Roll over the spatula under the egg and do not lift the egg and drop it back on the griddle upside down to turn it, or you will end up breaking the yolk. You can season the egg with salt and pepper and another seasoning as required. It is best to consume the egg immediately after cooking, and if the egg is left at room temperature for more than an hour, it is better not to consume it as it could lead to food-borne diseases.
4. Griddling Mini Frittatas
Frittatas are Italian omelets and the major difference between the regular omelets is that all the ingredients are mixed as a batter before they are been cooked. The cooking method for the Frittatas are,
- Take a bowl and crack four eggs in it
- Add ¼ cup mill and ¼ tsp of thyme with the eggs
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The next step is to add the filling as per one’s preference.
- The best filling recipes are cheese, broccoli, onions, spinach, tomato, mushrooms, etc.
- Oil the griddle and heat it to medium heat.
- Make use of egg rings to make mini frittatas.
- The rings will mold the frittatas and we can also use a basting cover to steam the top of the frittatas
- Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the basting cover and egg rings.
- The Frittatas are good to enjoy as soon as they are taken out of the griddle.
5. Egg sandwiches
Egg salad sandwiches are great recipes for a quick lunch for a decent gathering. To prepare this recipe, cook the eggs in a bowl of boiling water. After 15-20 minutes when the eggs are cooked, drain the water and peel the eggshell. Chop the eggs finely with a knife, add spoons of mayonnaise and mix it well. You can add all seasonings and herbs such as chopped celery, curry powder, Cajun seasoning, paprika, etc. Add salt and pepper to taste and spread it over bread to serve.
Also check this recipe: How to Cook Steak on a Griddle?
Eggs are one of the best food items that offer rich protein and amino acids. They are great for children, and several egg recipes could be prepared on a griddle within minutes.