For all those who are on a strict vegetarian diet, and for others who have adopted a strict vegan diet for weight reduction or weight loss modification, broccoli is one of the primitive vegetables that should be on their bucket list. It helps them with high levels of required calcium, potassium, vitamins, and other minerals and is also one of the best-tasting vegetables that we could include on the diet plan. Its crunchy and tender feel along with its great aroma qualifies it o be on the everyday menu. Also, it tastes so great to eat and its munching texture makes it very fulfilling and appetizing for those who are on diet.
While there are many ways to get this veggie cooked, one best and the healthiest option is to get it cooked over a griddle. The long cooking surface of the griddle ensures that the vegetable is cooked evenly and in a short time and with as minimal oil as possible, which is perhaps what people on a strict diet plan will look forward to. Let us discuss how best we could cook broccoli on the griddle and other combination recipes with meat and almonds, to make it a complete meal.
How to Cook Plain Broccoli on a Griddle?
This is one of the best and the simplest ways to cook Broccoli on an electric Griddle. Even those who do not like eating broccoli would love eating it and will not resist eating it over and over again. In this plain recipe, to make the broccoli super soft and to taste great, it is first cooked in boiling water and later cooked on the griddle.
Being the simplest recipe, it requires simple ingredients such as broccoli, with their stems peeled and are cut along their length, salt to taste, and olive oil. To continue with the recipe, take the griddle, place it over the flame and pre-heat it with medium-high heat. Bring a saucepan of water to boil and add salt lightly. Cook the broccoli for four minutes and drain the water immediately. You can also rinse it under cold water or place it in a bowl of ice water to stop its internal cooking process.
Add oil to the griddle and cook the broccoli. The cut side of the broccoli should be facing the hot surface of the griddle. Cook in this position for 3 to 4 minutes until it turns golden brown. Turn the broccoli and cook it for one minute or two. Remove the vegetable from the heat, salt it according to the taste requirements and serve it hot.
Which electric griddle is best for cooking broccoli?
Zojirushi EA-DCC10 Gourmet Sizzler Electric Griddle is the best electric griddle for cooking broccoli. Most chefs prefer this griddle as it helps them maintain a good balance of taste and nutrition.
Also check: Top 14 Best Electric Griddles in the Market
Cooking Beef with Broccoli – A combination of great delicacies
Cooking beef with broccoli brings the best of both worlds together and there could be no healthier meal than this recipe, that could get ready in as little as 30 minutes. This is a super easy and extremely tasty beef and broccoli dish, that has its origin in Asia and could be a great dinner for the weekend.
Ingredients that are required (serves 4):
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1-pound skirt or thinly sliced flank steak
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger and garlic
- Red chili
- ½ a cup beef broth
- Olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- corn starch
Cooking method – step by step:
- First whisk the brown sugar, ginger, corn starch, beef broth, chili, soy sauce and set them aside.
- Mix 2 tsp of cornstarch with about 2 tsp of water and add the grated garlic. Soak the steak in this mixture and max sure it is thoroughly soaked in the mixture
- Add 2 tsp of oil to the griddle and cook the coated beef over medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until it gets cooked thoroughly. Make sure to stir it continuously.
- Remove the beef from the griddle and set it aside.
- Now add the broccoli and the onions to the griddle and cook it for 3 to 5 minutes or until it gets tender.
- The next step is to add the beef along with the broccoli back to the griddle, add the onion and pour the beef broth mixture as well.
- Cook for additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens
- Serve it with rice or noodles.
Also read: How to Cook Steak on a Griddle?
Griddled Broccoli with Almonds
This is a simple, quick, and nutritious meal and is also a very easy vegetable dish that can be an exceptional accompaniment to the main course meal. The almonds when cooked with broccoli with bring out the natural nutrition of the broccoli and as we add chili to the dish, it brings about a great kick for the meal. This is also one of the easy-to-cook meals, which takes about 15 minutes to complete the entire cooking process.
- Two to three cups of broccoli
- Two medium spicy red chilies that are thinly sliced
- 100 ml olive oil
- Four thinly sliced garlic cloves
- Three tsp of toasted almonds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- Thinly sliced lemon for garnishing
Method – serves four:
- Make sure the broccoli is cut into florets and boil them in plain water for about three minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and transfer it into a bowl of ice water to prevent it from cooking completely
- Drain the florets and dry them on the kitchen paper
- Pre-heat the griddle so that it is heated up evenly along its surface
- Toss olive oil on the broccoli and season it with salt and pepper generously.
- Add the seasoned broccoli to the griddle and cook it for 4 minutes.
- Add oil to a saucepan and cook the garlic and chili, until the garlic turns brown.
- Before turning the broccoli, add the chili and the garlic mix, and cook it again for a minute.
- Transfer the broccoli to the serving plate and scatter the roasted almonds over it.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve hot.
Broccoli pancakes on the griddle
It is possible to make broccoli pancakes on the griddle and it would taste great with a yogurt dip. This could be a tasty and healthy after-school snack for kids. For completing the recipe, the broccoli should be blended along with onion and garlic on the blender until it is fine. Mix it with milk, egg, baking powder, and a cup of all-purpose flour. Add salt, pepper, chives, and chervil for seasoning.
Preheat the griddle, smear it with butter and pre-heat the griddle. Add two tablespoons of pancake batter to the griddle and cook it for three minutes. Flip and cook for another two minutes. Serve it warm along with any dip of choice.
Must check: Best Electric Griddles for Pancakes in 2021
Thus, with the griddle at hand, we can make infinite recipes even with plain vegetables like broccoli. The griddle ensures that the vegetable is evenly cooked and adds all the flavors and tastes of the additional spicing and flavoring agents onto the food without dissipating it.
The Griddle is perhaps the best kitchen appliance to cook a range of special food items and it is also great in getting the dish completed within the least possible time. It is also easy to clean and maintain compared with other stovetops. Get your griddle today and start experimenting with the range of delicacies.