Grilling is an activity that helps you bond with family, friends, or groups and you can host amazing tailgate parties with high-quality tailgate grills for trucks. You can grill veggies, burgers, steaks, roasts, or other food with great ease with a portable grill during tailgate parties.
It will be remarkable when you can roast some great food while camping beside a lake while kicking down tailgate with your friends in your truck. The grill required during a tailgate party is quite different from the one that you use in your backyard as tailgate grills for trucks are smaller in size and are more transportable. So to help you make the right choice, we have listed the top 5 best tailgate grills for trucks.
Quick Summary: Best Tailgate Grills for Trucks
You may like: Best Portable Gas Grills for Tailgating
- Quick Summary: Best Tailgate Grills for Trucks
- Top 5 Best Tailgate Grills for Trucks
- Truck Tailgating Grill Buying Guide
- Final Words
Top 5 Best Tailgate Grills for Trucks
#1. Flame King YSNHT500 Trailer Mounted Gas Grill – Best Overall
|Easy to clean||9.3|
|Easy to use||9.2|
|Value for money||9.2|
This is indeed a great grill to use in trucks as it cooks food instantly in the leisure we get in between trucking. It has a vast cooking surface of 214 sq. inches and is thus great for preparing a meal for two or three people pretty instantly. This trailer and RV compatible BBQ grill feature a bracket that can mount to the sides of the RV or truck and thus helps us to stop the vehicle and cook food on the go. Being a gas grill that is compatible with the motorhome, it is extremely convenient and its 12,000 BTU ignition power with an adjusting flame controller helps in a seamless cooking experience.
There is also a hanging rank in this BBQ gas grill, which can be converted as legs to get the grill its freestanding feature. The grill is also designed with retainer pins to stay secure on the mounting bracket and its dual locking lids help with a secure storage system. It can be connected with the self-contained LP gas system of the RV with the help of a quick-connect hose. It can also connect with any standard propane cylinder through a quick connect regulator hose.
- Compact and portable grill for trucks, camping, and tailgating.
- Mounts easily on the existing rail of the RV/trailer.
- Heats up quickly and is great for cooking quick meals
- The grill comes with a black bag with a zipper, to store.
- Produces lots of heat and it is great to cook even in windy situations
- The grill is tough to clean
- The grill doesn’t stay hot when it is switched off
Also check: Best Portable Gas Grill for Camping
#2. HitchFire Forge 15 Hitch Grill – Runner Up
|Easy to clean||9.3|
|Easy to use||9.1|
|Value for money||9.2|
The first and the best great feature of this grill is that, it mounts onto the hitch of the truck easily and thus you can stop the vehicle anywhere you wish and start cooking great food instantly to feed hungry mouths. It has a vast cooking space, about 355 Sq. inches and thus helps you to cook complete meals for 2 or 3 people, pretty instantly. This instant grilling unit features about 7500 BTUs per burner and in total it has two burners.
This grill works on 16 oz. propane gas and it features dual-zone high output burners. Its articulating swing arms rotate at 90 degrees and 180 degrees, making cooking extremely easy and efficient. HitchFire Grill is the creator of the world’s first-ever hitch-mounted grill that helps users to use the grill on the go. This invention is inspired by the love for road trips and by adventure and this new category of hitch-based accessories.
These rugged and hitch-based grills are built with a purpose and are built with the highest quality of materials so that they withstand the roughest of all-weather and even the tough weather conditions to get every road trip or expedition as interesting as possible. The Forge 15 can be a perfect addition for camping, Overlanding, tailgating, and day-tripping and are great for truckers, people in recreational vehicles, and even bike warriors.
- The grill is made of steel and is powder-coated.
- The grill works on 1 lb. propane.
- Very easy appliance to put together and it is easier to cook too.
- Lightweight grill that weighs only one pound.
- The grill doesn’t come with a cover.
- The pin or the bolt that threads into the swing arm to prevent it from rattling is not sturdy.
Also check: Best Outdoor Electric Grills 2021
#3. ASMOKE AS300 Portable Pellet Grill – Editor’s Choice
|Easy to clean||9.3|
|Easy to use||9.4|
|Value for money||9.1|
This is an excellent electric smoker grill that comes with a smart meat probe. This is an excellent grill for camping with a total cooking surface of 256 sq. inches. In the cooking area, there is a small pellet grill with a waterproof cover. The unit also comes in an elegant and attractive red color. Apart from being used in the trucks, this portable pellet grill is great for hosting an outdoor party as well. Being a small pellet grill, it is easy to transport, easy to set up, and also clean on the go. The unit is compact in its dimensions and it can be purchased with the grill carry case.
This is a consistent smoker that makes use of a patented small grill air duct system technology that helps in the even distribution of heat across the entire cooking surface. This grill renders the perfect cooking consistency across the entire cooking surface to taste delicious meat, burgers, and other food, every time. It is best recommended to cook the food in the portable pellet grills using the Applewood pellets as proposed by the brand to render the meals light and fruity taste, offering them a refreshing flavor.
The next best feature of this pellet grill is its precision temperature control features and the portable grills have a smart meat probe to cook meats to one’s perfection. It is possible to cook in this grill between a temperature range of 180 and 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cooking even tough meat to a juicy consistency is possible with this pellet grill from ASMOKE. The contents of this electric smoker include stainless steel meat probe, waterproof cover, grease bucket, user manual, and a five years warranty.
- Quick and easy to assemble and convenient to store too.
- Its removable legs make it easy to store and transport.
- There is a smart heat probe to check the internal temperature of meat cooked.
- Cleaning the ash and the grease catcher is a hassle.
Also check: Best Electric Grills for Steaks
#4. Coleman RoadTrip 225 Portable Propane Grill – Good Alternative
|Easy to clean||9.2|
|Easy to use||9.2|
|Value for money||9.1|
This is a great stand-up propane grill that is extremely portable and has a cooking power of up to 11,000 total BTUs. There are two adjusting burners in this propane gas grill, that help with the best temperature control system. The grill features the largest grilling area of about 225 sq. inches and it is easy to set up as well, with its quick-fold legs and wheels. Its push-button ignition helps in lighting the grill without the use of matches. It can also hook up with 16.4 oz. propane cylinder that is sold separately. The propane grill also comes with a three-year limited warranty on the product.
This portable stands-up grill has two temperature zones and it renders more control while selecting the grilling temperature with two adjusting independent zones. The grill is convenient to store and it can be stored upright to fit in the tight spaces, until the next cooking time. For better meal options, the cast iron grill grates can be interchanged effortlessly with stove grates that are stored separately or griddles. This grill is an exceptional crowd-pleaser that has tremendous temperature control that helps in cooking perfect meats, veggies, and seafood.
The grill is quick to transport, and its quick-fold legs and its two rugged wheels help it easy to campsite and help in tailgating with ease too. There is also a drip pan in the unit, which is a circular pan that is under the open part of the grill grate. The drippings will not get into the bottom of the grill, and it is possible to add water to the drip pan, to prevent all sorts of flare-ups from the drippings.
- It is easy to cook in this propane grill and it is easy to clean as well.
- The grill is extremely easy to assemble as well and takes up to 10 minutes at the max.
- The small and versatile little grill
- The grill is easy to clean and also stows great.
- The burners are sideways
- The folding legs, if they are not used appropriately, don’t roll appropriately.
Also check: Best Electric Griddles for Camping
#5. Coleman RoadTrip LX Propane Grill – Good Choice for Tailgating
|Easy to clean||9.3|
|Easy to use||9|
|Value for money||9.1|
This is a portable grill that runs on propane gas and this small cooking unit is great for camping, tailgating, and picnic trips. The unit is capable of delivering about 20,000 BTUs of heat and it comes with two adjusting burners to cook food seamlessly. Its interchangeable cooktops allow us to switch the grill grates for both griddles and the stove grates that are sold separately. The grill works great to cook and makes us great bacon and meat without building up smoke in the house.
The perfect flow technology of this propane grill helps with consistent performance and helps in cooking seamlessly even in extreme temperature conditions. Its collapsible stand folds to help with compact storage and its tabletop setup helps us in using the grill seamlessly without the stand. There are side tables and tool hooks to help with easy access to the utensils and the ingredients to cook in the grill. The unit is great for cooking steaks, burgers, and even short ribs and it is great for grilling burgers and the brats on the grate. It works both as a griddle and the grill, side by side, and helps us to cook food in variant combinations.
- Its Perfect Flow technology helps in cooking seamlessly even in chilly conditions.
- Offers a generous cooking surface of 295 sq. Inches.
- There is a collapsible stand that helps in compact storage.
- The camping grill can also be used without the stand on the tabletop.
- It seems like it requires additional support to cook outdoors.
Also check: Best Smoker Grill Combos 2021
Truck Tailgating Grill Buying Guide
Tailgate grills are an amazing appliance to sit and have fun with your family and friends and enjoy great food, game, and bond together. All you have to do is make some delicious grilled food and enjoy your time with family and friends. Tailgating is an event that is becoming quite popular throughout the world and due to the increasing demand; there are numerous tailgate grills that have flooded the market.
If you are a fan of tailgate parties then you need to find the best tailgate grill that is perfect for hosting tailgate parties. Tailgating is enjoyed mostly by men in the parking areas of the stadiums before or after important game events. Tailgating parties mostly take place during the football season in late summers and anyone can join the festivities if you have a truck and a tailgate grill.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Grill for a Tailgate Party
- Size of the grill: though you will require a small grill than the standard size it should be big enough to cook food for two or more buddies during your tailgate parties. A tailgate grill needs to be compact so that it can fit easily in the back of your truck and should be lightweight and transportable. Large grills heat up at a slower rate and are difficult to move around, but small grills are easy to handle during transportation and have features that make it apt for road trips, camping or tailgating. The food gets cooked up quickly with medium sized surface area and you can serve it quickly to your buddies.
- Fuel type: Tailgate grills for trucks either use smoky charcoal for fuel or propane. A propane grill is however quite convenient to use due to numerous reasons. Gas grills are easy to set up and ignite and the stove heats up faster than charcoal ones so that you can cook food faster and efficiently. Gas grills are easier to clean and you will not have to shovel charcoal anymore.
- The surface area of the grill: grilling surface area needs to be wide enough to let you cook food for more people during tailgating at once. This will help you cook food in bulk as soon as possible and join the party fun later on. The more the surface area for grilling, the better it will be during parties.
- Portability: Tailgating grills must be easy to move around and must be portable so that they are suitable for tailgating inside trucks. If they have wheels, it will be better but they must come with a lock to stay of different types of terrains.
- Maintenance: The grill must be easy to clean after every tailgating party and must not require complex maintenance that takes up all your time and efforts. If the grill will be easy to clean then you will get more time to enjoy the party rather than worrying about the tedious job of cleaning after the party.
- Igniter and temperature control: Igniters are of two types in Grills, which are electric ignition or battery powered push button. Battery ones may require battery replacement regularly and may not work on low battery, the electronic ignition system is great. Temperature control can help you choose the heat for cooking and cook the food in the right manner. With proper heat control in different settings, you can cook the food in the right manner.
- Installation: A portable gas grill has a grill pan and a propane bottle and most of the grills are ready to use with sometime of setup. However, if the grill takes too long to set up and install then you must reconsider buying it.
- Accessories: make sure that the gas grill has extra accessories like an extra gas bottle; barbecue tools, grill plates, racks, and temperature control lids so that you don’t have to buy them separately.
Additional Things to Bring During a Tailgate
Other things that you are essential to host a tailgate beside grill for trucks are as follows, so make sure to compile everything to start having great fun with your friends:
- Utensils: these are the most important things besides the food as without utensils, you will not be able to eat, serve or cook. However, you can also use recyclable plates and utensils and make sure to keep extra few so that you don’t run out of them.
- Food and Drinks: Do not forget to carry water, beverages, and drinks for the tailgate party as people usually forget them and then buy overpriced drinks on the way. Pack all the food and drinks in a leak-proof manner and carry double the amount of people so that you don’t run short of food and drinks while partying during the game.
- Trash bags: Trash bags are quite important for cleaning up after parties, so make sure to carry trash bags so that you can separate the trash and dispose of them wherever you see a dumpster.
Cleaning Your Tailgating Grill
If you want your tailgate grill to be long-lasting and durable, then you need to make sure that it is cleaned instantly after every use. You can make use of grill cleaning supplies or use a dishwashing soap so that the grill is thoroughly clean. It is crucial to clean both insides as well as outsides of the grill and pat it dry completely before storing it away. If proper care of the tailgate trills is not taken then they might get ruined soon.
You can choose grills depending on your requirements and tailgating needs and decide the one that suits you. Tailgate parties are amazing and having a good grill to cook food can make them greater. Gas grills for trucks can help you cook meals faster and in a tastier manner during tailgate parties and you can have great fun with your buddies during the party while cooking different types of foods from your truck.
Choose the right grill that fits well in your truck and is transferable and enjoys cooking burgers, steaks, veggies, and other meats along with cool beverages in the parking of the stadium before or after the match.